Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Top 15 Geographical Crushes as of Today

Full disclosure: Some of them I’ve dated. Others I’ve never even met.

The similarity, though, is that I get a little tingly thinking about them. Fantasies run amuck. I envision a certain kind of life. I even imagine being a better, more evolved person. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

1. Santa Fe, New Mexico*
2. Buenos Aires, Argentina*
3. Charleston, South Carolina*
4. Austin, Texas
5. Portland, Oregon
6. Asheville, North Carolina
7. Eureka Springs, Arkansas*
8. Boulder, Colorado
9. Natchez, Mississippi
10. Ketchum, Idaho
11. Wilmington, North Carolina
12. New Orleans, Louisiana*
13. Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica*
14. Los Alamos, California*
15. Montreal, Canada*


I’ll periodically update this list as my feelings shift. Not that I'm fickle, ahem. I’ll also be taking a more critical eye to the candidates in the coming months. How do they compare in terms of cost of living? Are they too big…or too small? Which meet my “tolerance standards”?

In other words, does the reality live up to the fantasy?

*Places I’ve had at least one date with.

No comments: